Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Old Is New Again


Today I cleared the junk off the top of my old Singer treadle sewing machine, vacuumed away the cobwebs in the workings and gave the whole thing a good sponge down. I wanted to see how this wonderful old machine sewed, after years doing service as a telephone table! Oh my! I'd forgotten just how beautifully she worked, after very little adjusting she was sewing like a dream, and had no difficulty at all handling the very thick, alpaca, fur fabric I was using. She makes a lovely gentle sound as she works, no electric motor, just the rythmic sound of the sewing mechanisms, such a wonderful way to sew a bear, and a little light exercise while you're doing it. I bought this machine a long time ago when we were living with no electicity, it cost all of eleven dollars! I don't think it had been used all that much, the booklet was immaculate, and all the accessories were present, in fact it looked like it was fresh from the Singer factory!

2 comments:

  1. NOTHING can compare to the smooth running of these old machines. Once cleaned and conditioned, they purr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely machine! I remember one just like it in the corner of my Gran's living room when I was a little girl!

    ReplyDelete